A look at what’s on in Leeds this summer
If you’re anywhere near Leeds this summer, or you plan to visit from out of town, you definitely won’t be short of things to do! There’s loads of stuff going on, from gigs and festivals to theatre, sport and culture – here’s our pick of the best events in Leeds this summer…
- The Yorkshire Post Food and Drink Show 2015 – 5th to 7th June, Millennium Square. Now in its fifth year, the flagship event of the annual Food and Drink Festival is pure foodie heaven, with everything from cookery demos to street food and cocktail bars.
- Let’s Rock Leeds! – 20th June, Temple Newsam House and Farm. This 80s music extravaganza has a fantastic line-up, with everyone from Bucks Fizz to Go West and Midge Ure joining the nostalgia-fest.
- Age of Glamour – all summer, Lotherton Hall. This must-visit exhibition in Lotherton Hall’s new Fashion Galleries explores the glamorous 1950s, displaying elegant couture, Dior designs and other beautiful dresses of the period. It’s a must for fashion fans.
- The Light Lab – until 21st June, Leeds City Museum. Explore the wonder and science of light in this fantastic interactive exhibition, perfect for children and families. Discover the history of light, find out how light travels and get hands-on with coloured light and kaleidoscopes.
- The Rise and Fall of Little Voice – 5th June to 4th July, West Yorkshire Playhouse. Seize your chance to see this comedic and heart-warming, Olivier award-winning play and its all-star cast, including Vicky Entwistle, Nancy Sullivan and Chris Gascoyne.
- Leeds Waterfront Festival – 27th to 28th June, Leeds Waterfront (multiple venues). This annual event, stretching along the whole of the waterfront, brings the waterways to life with performance, arts, music and family-fun – and it’s free!
- Pharrell Williams, Doctor Who Symphonic Spectacular, Fleetwood Mac and Mrs Brown’s Boys – Leeds First Direct Arena. This impressive venue attracts all the big names in music, comedy and entertainment, and this summer is no different. See headline acts including the pop superstar Pharrell Williams, the hilarious Mrs Brown’s Boys in How Now Mrs Brown Cow and the incredible Doctor Who Symphonic Spectacular – where the BBC National Orchestra of Wales will be performing to a backdrop of thrilling big screen presentations and specially edited sequences.
- Leeds Festival 2015 – 28th to 30th August, Braham Park. The line-up for one of the best annual festivals in Leeds is stupendous, including the likes of Mumford & Sons, Metallica, The Libertines and Alt-J to name but a fraction of the bank holiday weekend headliners.
With so much brilliant family-friendly fun going on in Leeds, you won’t want to miss a moment, but you’ll also need somewhere convenient and great value to stay after each day’s adventures. Recharge your batteries for the next day of fun events in Leeds with a comfortable, modern room at Weetwood Hall – it’s just 4 short miles from the city centre.